3.22.2024

Stormshadow

Hello, we meet again. Just an update, I'm trying to be more consistent with my posts. I realize I have like 10 views a month and 5 of them are probably me. To be honest though this blog is more for me than for you. It has become a sort of spot for me to reflect and to realize who I am as an artist, a lover, and a human effing being. I think my art refelcts a happer time in my past. Comics, movies, watching 'Friday The 13th' for the first time. Not that I'm not happy now mind you, just a time when money was less important but worth more, a time with less 'influencers' and more 'doers.' Even then though, most doers weren't concerned with who could see them and like them. Theirs was to build a bank of memories to take along with on this nutso adventure we call 'life.' One could draw on these memories at any given time and create that bit of euphoria and adrenaline only etched memories can. I always expected things to change, for people to change. I just thought we would keep our connection to nature and one another. Between my wife's job and myself we both deal with a lot of different kinds of people because hey! everyone needs to eat, and everyone needs to drink. In our industries we deal with rich people, poor people, old people, young people, drunk people, religious people, hateful people, happy people, even those that are too happy. My point being is that I see a lot of new faces everyday in my industry as does my other half and the amount of hate and anger we experience is overwhelming these days. We are both happy people from loving homes who lost our fathers when we were young. Our fathers were our connection, our love. Luckily that love and morality has persevered, it has given the both of us a reason to keep going. I paint pop culture of the 80's and 90's because for me it has flavor, pop.
Here is my update; Stormshadow is coming along. I started the fleshy layers today and hope to get more shading/black laid in there at some point later. So far this had been one of my favorite pieces to work on. I feel like my technique is getting cleaner and the pieces look more like I envision them. I know that it's art and part of its taste lies in its imperfections. Its 'Happy Accidents' as old Bob Ross used to say. I will also plug another King novel I just finished. This one is (as far as I know) King's ONLY non-fiction he's ever written. 'Danse Macabre' and I recommend it to anyone interested in writing/reading novels, scripts, or just a fan of horror in general. King wrote this book back in 84' (I believe) and of course as we stated times have changed. Fundamentals however, don't. The book is a kind of recipie for horror. In it King gives highlights on the best horror writers, and directors over the last 30 years. This would have covered the 50's through the 80's. King points out the successes and shortcomings of some of his most influential horror writers (yes, even his own). I inserted a link above that will take you to the cheaper version of the book (same one I have). With that I will thank you once again for scanning these cerebral spillings, take care and don't forget to smile. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment