2.21.2024

G.I. Joe, and a lack of snow.

Heyo! hope you are doing well. I have a quick update on my art and wanted to share it with you. When last we connected I had shown a rough sketch of Snake Eyes. I did 'finish' it and thought it turned out pretty cool. Stylized for sure, but I thought It worked with my style/vibe. The piece is acrylic and pen, my usual go to. I did however experiment more with adding layers of guesso in certain areas to see how it affected paint absorption and texture. One thing I did like about the guesso is its ablility to help hide sketch lines going into the blocking/painting phase. I have a heavy hand when it comes to sketching. I have always liked heavy registration lines probably from comics and cartoons. I found that the guesso really hides those superficial lines and leaves the important ones. This is the 'finished' version of 'Snake Eyes'. As usual i'm still tweaking it when I notice things that need fixing. For the most part though, it's done.
Now, If I am to paint one I felt the urge to paint the other...yes, 'Stormshadow'. The inspiration on these is 80's comics. These colorful pages were our Marvel movies. It's kinda funny when I look back on high school. I was often bullied for wearing a 'Spider Man' tee shirt because of its childish stigma. Now, wheew, studios are making millions regurgitating old storylines and bringing them to life via computer animation and post visual effects. Don't get me wrong I do love the marvel and DC movies, just funny how times, trends, flavors....change. Alright, enough of that; here is a rough sketch shot of my next piece. I want to work the same BG as the previous 'Snake Eyes' as the two were inspired by one piece.
Other than that, I'm still waiting to take my level 1's for PSIA. It's been a light season for snow. If we don't get another good couple storms my local mountain will probably be closed by mid March. It's sad but what can ya do? Anyway, I know this was a short one but I really just wanted to post an update on my new piece and sketch for my new one. As usual, thanks for taking the time to check out my blog and I hope to get another update on 'Stormshadow' sooner rather than later. Peace, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment